Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A field tripping envi-class visits the biodynamic farm

November 16, 2010

So I am staying in Ooty, with a wonderful lady named Vanya. She has a wonderful home and excellent cooks! She oversees over 16 Eco-projects here in the Nilgiris for Earth Trust. One of the operations is a biodynamic farm right next to her home. It is probably close to an acre of property, the plants are huge, delicious and completely disease free!


(just outside her home)


(the path to the garden)


(some of the surrounding view)


(entrance to the garden)



On the days I am not out and about with different projects, I will be here, working in the garden. Collecting seeds, weeding, or mulching.






(a community building that overlooks the garden)

Today, an environmental school group from a high school a few hours away came to visit the farm to learn a little about organic farming.

Anyone who wanted to know what it was like working towards having this as a career, I was given as a reference point. I think the only question I was given was, “Do you ever get bored?” I can't remember what I said, I think I smiled and said no.

It was really great to see city school kids, really getting into the subject! The teacher who gave them the tour of the farm, got them working with their hands with the compost and the manure! It was so impressive to see these kids really opening up and trying new things. Their memory was impeccable as well! The teachers would give them short quizzes after showing them different parts of the farm, and all of them were on top of the questions and answering them all correctly! Maybe I just don't remember high school well enough, but I don't remember kids getting that much out of field-trips.

It was a lot of fun to be working with them. I remember when I was younger I used to think that I would never become a boring old person, I would always remember what it was like to be a kid!

Too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment