Monday, January 17, 2011

Spiritual Retreat

Sept 29- Oct 2 2010

So the past week, I attended a spiritual conference near Bangalore. I took a detour from permaculture because I wanted to learn a little bit about some of the Indian Guru's.

It was a really interesting experience! I went with Ameli and Vanja (the cutest lady ever! She lives in the Nilgiri Mountains). We were set up in a four person tent, given a cot a pillow and one teeny blanket. (which was not enough ps, it got really cold at night!)

The place was called Pyramid Valley. There was a huge pyramid that we gathered in everyday for meditation, basically from morning to night.

I kept getting headaches in the pyramid, so I ended up skipping a lot of sessions and going for nature hikes!

I met an American Indian, not a Native American don't get me wrong. He is actually born in America but he is Indian. And his name is Harsh, which means happiness in Hindi. I met him the first day.

He found me at the pyramid, and plopped right next to me. He gave me a pyramid key chain and went on to make jokes about the the program. I had been in that pyramid for so long. I found him amusing but felt bad that I was laughing in the middle of the meditation.. oops. The next day he plopped down beside me again.. we decided to go out on a walk. I found out that he had been a monk for 6 years! And surprisingly wasn't the only ex-monk that I met at the conference!

I also met a couple of breatharians, actually one of them stayed in our tent, she did drink water with lemon, but that was it. She looked 30 years younger than her age too! Really fascinating to meet all the people here. Everyone was extremely nice.

There was also a teacher who was able to reduce my fear of public speaking enough that when I wanted to test it out to see if it was real, I spoke at the final meeting of the retreat in front of about 300 hundred people, just telling my story!

it was unreal.

Anyway.

It was really quite the experience, and the meditations were amazing, if any of you get the chance to go to one of these, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment