Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life at the old organic farm, day 3

October 12th 2010

I almost just wrote 2005. In 2005 I was in my graduating year at my highschool. It's amazing the life I've created for myself since that time.

Anyway. I was 5 years behind, and currently living in a way that I would imagine to be 500 years behind. That is about the age of the house I am staying in, actually. Quite amazing that a structure this old is still being used, and I actually have the opportunity to experience it.


The windows are small wooden framed devices, with wooden bars for screens. The ceilings are tall and the rooms are very spacious and the opposite of cluttered. Dirt is a wall decoration and insects live freely among us. Quite a wonderful little ecosystem going on in my room. And the smoke from the kitchen adds a little retro rave modern feeling to the energy of the room.

I luckily still sometimes receive a bar of service in my cozy little room. Lol when the universe feels like providing that is! I took a stroll to the main road to give a call to Ameli and Harsh (the ex buddhist monk whom I met at the spiritual conference. Harsh means happy in Hindi, and he is one of the happiest people I have ever met. But it isn't ironic! Okay, maybe it is!).

The roads surrounding the farm house, are filled with with trees colored with vibrant flowers! I actually got lost on some of these roads, but it really wasn't bad because the scenery was so amazing. Electricity isn't as scarce here as it is in other parts of India that I have been. And just as I wrote that the power went out. So I guess I lied.

The family I am living with are adorable, even though most of them don't speak English, so we mostly get by on smiles and nods. But it seems like it works just as well. The food they prepare is all local and some of the vegetables I cannot figure out what they are, lol but it makes meals interesting! They have a little cat, that I haven't managed to become friends with yet, but soon! I have made friends with a little baby cow, who is the most adorable thing in the world! He wanders around the garden, and cries for his parents and complains about the mosquitoes, but other than that, he is a very happy little cow.

They have a beautiful banana grove, and a coconut grove!! Many colorful frogs, caterpillars, butterflies, dragonflies, and exotic flowers. I saw this amazing flower that looks like a small universe. It has a light pink center with all of these tiny strands that stick out of it in all directions, and at the end of the strands there are these little glowing puffs. When I went to touch the flower, all of the leaves curled under, as if it had completely dried out and died! It took a couple minutes for it to uncurl itself and return to its natural color, but I've never seen a plant move like that before! I found some huge patches of these flowers, and depending on what leaf was touched, sometimes separate plants from the plant that was touched would also fake 'die'.

Later today we were working on building a greywater site/compost.

We tried to move a boulder which was in the way of the site. It was a medium, to small sized boulder. There were 8 of us, trying to roll it downhill.. hahah we budged it by about 2 inches off of the ground. But the ants were angry at us for disrupting their homes and Rico stepped on some glass. So our prospective compost site will have to wait for the moving of the rock.

But perhaps the compost will be that much better with the protection of a rock? Who knows.


But anywho,

and so it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment