Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mapping/Surveying the Wild Life Reserve

September 23rd

This morning one of Bobbi's drivers took Rico and I to the wildlife SOS reserve. We walked around in the scorching heat for a few hours mapping, taking pictures and surveying for the best drainage areas. Rico is going to build a one acre pond for the wild life animals because the water hole the animals had been using can only be accessed if the animals cross a couple miles of farmland, which is creating unpleasant relations between the local farmers and the wild animals. Farmland is currently surrounding their main source of water, and the farmers aren't keen on the animals trekking their way through their fields and destroying their crops. The wildlife corridor being created is an attempt to provide a safe haven for the animals as well as a water source without harmful interactions with the local farmers. The animals who live here include, monkeys, elephants, and wild big cats to name a few. Kartik had been trying also to buy the farm land from the farmers who live near the lake/water hole, but all refused to sell their land, so this cooridor to a new pond is the alternative.

Photobucket

Kartik has already hired a few workers for the wild life site being created. The workers followed us around and helped us get around on the rocky terrain, they didn't speak much english, but seemed nice none the less!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


dry season has definitely started. Its so incredibly warm. I put on 70 proof sunscreen and I am still a cherry tomatoe.

Fun.

On the way back to the resort, somehow I saw the weirdest things.

First I saw a goat.. with something hanging out of it, when I realized.. it was totally having a baby on the side of the road! And some little boy was helping it deliver!

Next window sight was a little kid.. pooping. Once I noticed one .. suddenly I noticed them multiply! They are actually everywhere! Once I noticed the little kids pooping everywhere on the side of the road.. I started noticing the adults! Especially in the fields.. all this time, while I thought they were picking rice.. they were actually taking a dump.. not only just taking a dump, but it's totally a social event.. they poop in pairs or groups.. whatever.. no big deal!

anyway.. as I begun to think that I saw my fill for the day.. I spot a guy... laying face down in the mud.. wasn't moving at all.. I sure hope he wasn't dead.

But I figured if he was.. the nearby villagers/market vendors (who were at most 10 feet away) would have done something??? I hope?? He must have just been drunk..

Anyway.. it was an interesting window watch from the wildlife center back to the eco-resort.

Once we got back.. we ate lunch and headed out to town to stay at an inn... well the inn's here in Hampi consist of little cottages. So we found ourselves nice little cottages to stay in.. and like always.. no power.

Which is fine.. I've had enough light today.. with the sun and burns and all.. the darkness of the cottage is very okay..

No comments:

Post a Comment