Friday, September 10, 2010

Flight and First Impressions

September 3rd 2010
Day One

Sunny clear skies for my arrival in India. Everything went relatively smoothly. I had a few issues in the Mombai airport, as much reconstruction was going on after the terrorist attacks three years ago. I think I went through security 4 times. As well as other other sorts of customs and what not. Luckily I met someone who had been living in Ireland but was from India who helped me find my way around to the next plane, which was great!


The first thing I noticed about india when my plane landed was the bright red sand, fluffy lush grass and the palm trees! Many shacks were aligned on either side of the fence outside the aiport. I could see kids lined up at the fence, watching the airplanes come in and take off. Bright blue tarps protected their shacks against the rains.

Food! Indian airplane service is great! On a two hour flight, they fed me a full course! They would never do that in America. Beware of vegetables that look like green beans! Haha my mouth was a bit on fire after I ate the whole thing! Oops. I drank fresh Indian lemonade, definitely less sugar but much more salt. Interesting but quenched the thirst. They served me a sour cream soup with paprika and chopped up onions.. wasn't too much of a fan, but that was really the only thing that I didn't eat, because everything else was very tasty!

I met up with Rico at the airport (The Permaculture Consultant I am apprenticing for.) We took a four hour bus trip to Mysore, and from there we took what is called an Auto(a small car with no doors, and three wheels) to his business partner and friend Ameli's house. The trip was a bit bumpy and you had to hold on, if you didnt want to fall out. The roads are rather hectic, because lines between lanes aren't followed, nor really is the side of the road that you are supposed to drive on. So much goes on, on the sides of the roads here. People say you see everything in NYC, I've seen much more here in a few hours than I ever have in NYC. People are so busy here all the time, the roads are alive with many people. People are logging on the side of the highways, planting, gardening, gathering flowers, fixing curbs, and all with handmade tools, and carrying piles of bricks on their heads! I didn't see so many electric devices. Their ladders are mostly built from bamboo or other big branches. Many many small shops and shacks on the side of the road and roaming dogs, cows and sheep.

I have yet to see animals fenced in- apart from a few chickens I saw in a cage on the side of the road for sale, and a few puppies. Instead there are sheep herders and cow herders that herd their animals around town. The cows sleep in parking lots and highways, but herds of goats or sheep are the main reason for traffic jams. Surprisingly, there isn't a lot of roadkill. Indians are very good at swerving their way through traffic and all sorts of obstacles!
It reminded me of a 'where is waldo' page. So much going on! And the land has a great atmosphere! Beautiful collages on the stone walls, depicting gods, goddesses beautiful valleys and people. The Tropic scenery and climate of the area is very comfortable, because of the monsoon season, there is a nice breeze and perfect temperature. The landscape is beautiful with the palm trees, rocky hills and green mountains. The smells however can be very strong passing through the towns, can't quite describe them as they are very new to me. Some birds here sound very similar to monkeys! I've been tricked a few times in thinking that there must be monkeys outside of my window! But I have been told that they are ground birds, I just have yet to see one.
As for my work here, we are going to a consultancy project tomorrow, where I will be taking notes for the consultants. They will be assessing the land for the layout.

So far things are great. Happy to be here.

3 comments:

  1. Ameli??

    Esther I can't tell you how proud I am of you. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog esther :) and love you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so vividly.
    And you have such an awake memory.
    Wonderful and marvelous!

    ReplyDelete